Art & Design
Here at Welford on Avon Primary School, we aim to enrich every child’s life, by cultivating a genuine life-long culture of Art and Design appreciation. We are committed to providing an ‘Art’s rich Curriculum’ for our children and the wider community.
As a school and in accordance with the National Curriculum’s expectations, we aim to ensure that all pupils.
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, collage, sculpture, printing and other art, craft and design techniques
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
- Develop a wider range of skills and use of mediums, with built in progression throughout year groups
- Children will feel represented by art/artists they are exposed to ie: diversity in art and artists
Early Years Foundation Stage
Pupils explore and use a variety of media and materials through a combination of child initiated and adult directed activities. They have opportunities to learn to:
- Explore the textures, movement, feel and look of different media and materials
- Respond to a range of media and materials, develop their understanding of them in order to manipulate and create different effects
- Use different media and materials to express their own ideas
- Explore colour and use for a particular purpose
- Develop skills to use simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately
- Select appropriate media and techniques and adapt their work where necessary
Within art and design, we strive to instil an appreciation and enjoyment of the arts enriching the children’s learning experience.
Our art and design curriculum is high quality, well thought out and is planned to demonstrate progression across the whole school, in ways that support the development of well-rounded pupils.
- experience a broad, balanced art and design curriculum, with an emphasis on the development of understanding and skills
- develop their knowledge and understanding of the work of artists, crafts people and designers from a range of times and cultures and apply this knowledge to their own work
- learn to understand and apply the key principles of art: line, tone, texture, shapes, space, form, pattern, colour and perspective
- reflect and evaluate their own and each other's achievements that are respectful
- make links between art and design and their learning in other subject areas
- be empowered to pursue creative endeavours