What Have We Been Learning?
During the Spring Term our themes are 'Going Places' and 'People Who Help Us'. Whilst learning at home, or in the key worker/ vulnerable bubble, the children have worked on projects linked to these themes where they have been able to select and complete a range of activities from a menu ensuring coverage of a broad and balanced curriculum. We are continuing the 'People Who Help Us' work now that we are back in school and the children have a variety of role play opportunities within the classroom, including a train station, fire station, shoe shop and cafe.
In PSHE our current topic is 'Healthy Me' so the children are learning about managing their emotions, healthy eating, the importance of exercise and the value of sleep.
In English, the children have written (to name just a few):
- instructions for a bus driver,
- poetry about themselves and transport,
- a letter of apology from Goldilocks,
- a road safety poster,
- their very own Bus Adventure story,
- a description of their special place where they feel safe.
In phonics children are currently consolidating their knowledge of phase 3 phonemes and phase 4 clusters for spelling . They are also practising their reading and writing of tricky words.
We are also currently learning to sign the alphabet.
In maths, the children have been:
- developing their understanding of time, completing 1 minute challenges and telling the time to the hour on an analogue clock, as well as practising sequencing the days, months and seasons,
- correctly naming and sorting 2D and 3D shapes according to their properties,
- working on rapid recall of their number bond facts and recording the addition and subtraction facts relating to these.
- ensuring they are confident with counting forwards and backwards from different starting points.
In PE we are using Dance to retell stories and communicate different emotions. During our games sessions, we are developing our throwing and catching skills and working towards playing a simple dodgeball game.